Why is the Virus risk indicator not available for consumers?
Virus risk indication is something that we wanted to bring to our business customers right away, to help people comfortably get back to work and school. As these are the places where viruses often spread the most, we have focused on implementing it there, but would love to hear your feedback on if this is something you would like to be able to use at home too.
How to reduce virus transmission risk in your home using Wave Plus
- Keep humidity and temperature within optimal limits - read more here!
- CO2 levels are an indication of adequate ventilation and should stay below 1000 ppm. By simply cracking a window, opening a door, and improving ventilation these can quickly reduce CO2 levels.
How does the virus risk indicator work?
The Virus Risk Indicator uses data based on three existing sensors in the Wave Plus for Business: CO2, temperature, and humidity. It uses sensor data to evaluate four factors that affect virus transmission, including:
- Virus survival rate: How long airborne viruses remain viable infectious airborne microdroplets remain viable in the air. Studies show that the period a virus remains viably infectious outside of a body is affected by temperature and humidity. In general, viruses are infectious for a longer period in cold and dry environments.
- Room occupancy: Rooms with dense occupancy increase that chance that people breathe each other's breath. Crowded areas will have a higher risk of airborne viruses, and a thus higher risk of infection for its occupants.
- Ventilation rate: The risk of airborne virus transmission is affected by the dilution of the air, not just the recycling of air. The ventilation might reduce the concentration of airborne viruses by replacing polluted air with clean air. Increased ventilation can thus lower the risk of infections.
The body’s natural defenses: The effectiveness of our immune system to defend against airborne virus is affected by temperature and humidity. The mucous membranes in the body act as barriers for viruses. Studies show that their function is affected by humidity. In general, dryer conditions will impair the barrier functions.
What is Airthings for Business?
Airthings for Business is our solution for schools, businesses, and public buildings to provide a safe and healthy environment and optimize energy usage.
Does it work for all buildings?
The Airthings for Business solution uses battery-operated sensors so it is easy to be installed into any existing buildings without wiring or a long installation process.
How do I get it?
The best way to try out the Airthings for Business solution is to purchase a starter kit. This includes 5 Wave Plus’ for Business, 1 Hub, and 1-year of service.