Below is a list of common causing VOCs that can be found in your house:
Candles and fires
Anything that burns gives off fumes. Fireplaces and scented candles are especially harmful, so keep an eye on your levels while using them.
Mothballs, room deodorizers and perfumes—anything with a fragrance, contain chemicals that should be avoided.
Cooking also creates gases that can be toxic. Always use a hood fan or open a window while cooking indoors. And keep the door closed when grilling outdoors.
New furniture, carpet, drapes, mattresses all contain chemicals that slowly release into the air, often for years after you bring them home.
While cleaning with soaps, detergents, furniture polish and glass cleaners be aware of terpenes and ethanol and ventilate accordingly.
Glue, paints, fabrics, wax, dyes, many craft products contain VOCs. Be sure to ventilate while using them.
Some hard plastics contain formaldehyde, and new fabrics emit toxins into the air. Look for BPA-free plastics or avoid plastics altogether, and wash toys before using them.
Paints and varnishes
Lacquers, paint, industrial glues, paint thinner and harsh chemicals should not be kept in the home, even when they are locked tight they emit chemicals into the air.